NELA will provide State Captains resources and support in coordinating and scheduling Hill Visits. Serving as a State Captain is very rewarding and fun, but not time intensive.
Summary of State Captain Responsibilities
- Contact participants (from your own state) to determine everyone's availability and connections to Congress. To facilitate communications between the State Captain and participants, State Captains will be provided with a list of Lobby Day participants from their state, along with email addresses and "grasstop" connection information, if appropriate.
- Request Hill Visits 2-3 weeks in advance of Lobby Day using NELA's sample letters for House and Senate offices. You can find contact information for your Senators and Representative on NELA's Grassroots Advocacy Center. Enter your home zip code in "Your Legislator" box, click "Go," and then select "View Profile" of the legislator you wish to contact. You may also make your appointments by calling the Capitol Hill switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and asking for your Senators' and Representative's offices.
- Confirm Hill Visits by entering by submitting an online Hill Visit Appointment Form.
- Seek personal stories from your state/district about why the Arbitration Fairness Act (AFA) and the Civil Justice Tax Fairness Act (CJTFA) need to be reintroduced and enacted, and how they would alleviate problems under current law. For your Senate visits, find stories about how court delays have adversely affected workers' vindication of their rights due to federal judicial vacancies.
- Coordinate with NELA's Washington Office to ensure that participants receive all pertinent information.
Please contact Laura M. Flegel at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 898-2880, ext. 115, if you have any questions, need assistance, or would like to be a State Captain.